Morel, Asparagus and Fresh Pea Risotto
Serves 6 as a first course, 4 as an entrée
- 1 pound fresh green peas, shelled, or 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch diagonal pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces morels or other wild mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup Chardonnay or other dry white wine
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
Blanch the peas in salted boiling water for 2 minutes. Using a strainer, transfer to ice water for 5 minutes. Blanch the asparagus in salted boiling water for 3 minutes and transfer to ice water for 5 minutes. Drain the vegetables and set aside.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper and sauté until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Set aside. In a saucepan, bring the stock or broth to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.
In a large, heavy saucepan over medium high heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and stir to coat well. Pour in the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved mushrooms. Add 1/2 cup hot broth and stir constantly until almost all of the liquid is absorbed into the rice, repeat, adding the remaining broth in 1/2 cup increments until the rice is al dente, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the peas, asparagus, parsley, and cheese. Taste and adjust the seasoning.