Marilyn’s Kale and Carrot Salad
This recipe was shared by my friend Linda Forrest. It keeps in the refrigerator for several days and just gets better.
- 1 large bunch young, tender curly kale, such as Lacinato, stems removed and leaves finely sliced.
- ¾ cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds
Note: For crush lunches, I often added chopped red pepper and chopped red onion for more crunch.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (we now prefer Vegenaise, available in Health Food stores. It is reduced fat and has no cholesterol).
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 ½ to 2 T rice vinegar plus 1 T lemon juice
- 1 T sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 T minced peeled fresh ginger
- ¼ ts cayenne pepper
- ½ ts ground cumin
Salt to taste best added after flavors meld.
Mix and refrigerate overnight for best flavor.