Lamb Chops Roasted
WITH SHALLOTS, TOMATOES, AND OLIVES
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 T. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 T. fresh thyme
- olive oil (see below)
- 8 lamb chops, 1 inch
- 6 shallots
- 8 Roma tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, drained, pitted and chopped roughly
- 1 cup red wine (Pinot noir or other fruity red)
- 1- 1/2 cup homemade stock – vegetable or beef
- 2 T. butter
- Overnight (or less, depending on your schedule), marinate lamb chops in a zip lock bag with 4 T. olive oil and 1 T. fresh rosemary. Remove and pat dry with paper towel.
- Mince the garlic. In a small bowl, blend the garlic, salt, herbs, pepper, and three T. of olive oil. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Quarter the shallots and tomatoes and toss in a bowl with 1 T. olive oil, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Place on a baking sheet, tomatoes cut side up, and roast in oven for 20 min. Set aside.
- Sear chops in skillet, in 1 T. olive oil over moderate heat until golden brown, 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer chops to shallow baking dish, but don’t wash the skillet.
- Reduce oven to 375.
- Pour wine and stock into the skillet you have reserved. Add herbs mixture and boil until reduced to about 1 cup. Set aside.
When ready to really get serious and serve:
- Transfer shallots and tomatoes to lower third of oven. Put chops in upper third.
- Roast the vegetables 10 – 13 min. until slightly caramelized.
- Roast chops about 8 – 10 min. in upper third of oven. (You want them very pink in the middle, and they are already seared……this is the hard part!) Remove from heat and loosely cover with foil and let them rest while you assemble the rest of the dinner.
- Pour any juices from meat into sauce, and reheat sauce gently. Cut butter into pieces; add chopped olives; season with extra salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chops with roasted vegetables strewn over the top, and your favorite accompaniment on the side: soft polenta, mashed potatoes, or rice. Drizzle with sauce.