This recipe is adapted from Mollie Katzen’s The New Moosewood Cookbook. I have added a cup of chopped ripe cantaloupe, which adds a sweetness all its own to this summer cold soup.
- 4 cups tomato juice (I puree home canned tomatoes. If you use purchased canned tomatoes, make sure they are low sodium.)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup diced cantaloupe, optional
Puree in food processor, and set aside in a large bowl.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced.
- 2 green onions, some tops, finely minced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 lime
- 2 T wine vinegar
- 2 T basil (fresh)
- 1/2 ts dried cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 T olive oil, or a little more after you taste the final blend
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 ts cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients, and refrigerate until very cold. Best if served within 12 hours.
Excellent with Pinot Blanc