Marilyn’s Pear Pie
Serve with Bethel Heights Gewürztraminer
This pie with this wine make an unforgettable match.
1. Prepare one-crust pie shell* and line bottom of pie pan.
2. Peel and halve 5 pears and place one layer deep in unbaked pie shell. Fill in corners with
remaining pears cut into quarters.
3. Beat custard filling ingredients until creamy. Pour over pears.
For custard filling:
1 cup sugar
¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes and at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until custard
Tips from Marilyn:
- If I use a Pyrex 9” deep pie plate or a 10” pie plate, I make 1 ½ times the custard filling recipe above.
- May need more pears.
- Put foil around trim until half way done, so it doesn’t get too brown.
- It may take longer to bake than the recipe says. Custard must come clean on a toothpick! Filling should not “jiggle.”
- if crust gets too brown, cover crust only with foil and finish baking.
*Cream Cheese Pie Crust
8 oz cream cheese (low-fat is ok)
1 lb butter
4 ½ c. flour
1. Cream all ingredients together at room temperature.
2. Break into 6 balls. Wrap in foil and freeze. Each ball is one crust.
3. When it’s time to bake, thaw ball of crust, smack it down, and roll it out.