- 2 lbs ground beef — not too dry — at least 15% fat content
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs (can use good quality dried, or soft, soaked in milk, then squeezed dry before adding)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 T finely chopped fresh oregano, or 2 ts. dry oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Olive cured dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- Prosciutto, cut into narrow strips
- Smoked mozzarella cheese, thin slices or shredded.
- Fresh, chopped basil
Mix together all meatloaf ingredients (first nine ingredients) in large bowl. On large piece of waxed paper, pat into a rectangle, at least 1/2 inch thick for ease of rolling.
Place filling ingredients down the middle, extending to within an inch of the long edges.
Starting with one long edge, roll meat, lifting waxed paper to help shape the roll, until ends slightly overlap. Pinch all ends, folding in, sealing the loaf carefully.
At this point, you can freeze the meat loaf for later baking. When ready to use it, simply thaw it, and continue as follows:
Place rolled loaf, seam side down, on rack of a shallow baking pan Cover top and sides generously with bottled chili sauce.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Meat should be firm to touch, uniformly. Let stand before slicing.